Thursday, May 14, 2015

New Project - Letters from 1940-41

For the past several months I've been working on a new writing project. A year ago my two sisters and I found and read letters our parents had written to each other before they were married. I'm using the thirty-three letters as the basis for a novella length piece. The letters are the root of the love story between my parents. Interspersed between these are a series of dialogues between my two sisters and I as we took turns reading the letters to each other. The final piece is a narrative written from Mom's POV. Inspiration for the piece comes from Carol Shield's book, The Stone Diaries in which she uses a similar format to tell the story. I am well on my way to having a completed first draft which I will send to my sisters for critical feedback and additions that come to them. This is a 'Creative non-fiction' piece. The dialogue between we sisters is based on our own reactions as we read the letters. The narrative comes from family lore and my creative imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment