Sunday, January 22, 2012

Class critique

Last week I brought my 5 pages of writing to the memoir class. I wanted to see if the structure for presenting my story works - description/backstory, scene, journal entry, exposition. The backstory was a description of Glen's health decline, the scene set in the doctor's office when the diagnosis of lung cancer was delivered, the journal entry was my reaction to the diagnosis, and the exposition from my POV about what lay ahead. My classmates were encouraging - liked the cool voice of description, the scene - filled with CSD (concrete sensory detail) worked well, the journal entry captured the emotional impact (some noted the poetic quality of this writing), only the exposition didn't seem to work. So I move forward with this structure, writing scenes and thinking about the exposition for each piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment