Sunday, January 29, 2012

Grief is not a mental illness

In the news (sic) this week was a report that the DSM-V (diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) may include grief as a mental disorder. Currently grief is excluded from the DSM. Yes, after the loss of my husband, I was depressed, my cognitive functioning declined, and I was crazy with grief - but I was not mentally ill. It took many months for me to regain a sense of "well being" and move on with my life. Deep sorrow resulting from the loss of a loved one is a natural process. We weep, we become withdrawn, we act irrationally - but these are natural reactions to loss. I hate the thought that "scientist" are trying to turn this natural process into a clinical problem, to be treated with drugs. Drugs do not help you recover from grief; drugs inhibit you from feeling the sorrow. If you aren't able to feel the emotions of grief, you can not heal.

No comments:

Post a Comment